-->

Theme Layout

[Leftsidebar]

Boxed or Wide or Framed

[Boxed]

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

Featured Slider Styles

[Boxedwidth]

Display Grid Slider

Grid Slider Styles

Display Trending Posts

Display Author Bio

No

Display Instagram Footer

Powered by Blogger.

Lessons from a Post Bac Student


I know I've already posted several blogs on my oh so wise college advice, but due to several recent adventures, I figured I can't share advice enough. College has been a huge learning curve. I could have used someone to show me the ropes starting out; I'm grateful to have been able help out a few friends and siblings.


Never buy books from the campus store.
They are always overpriced and can't always return them. Check out the different options - half-price books, Chegg.com. Also if possible wait until the first day of class to find out if you actually need the book, because most teacher cannot officially say you do not need the book, but they can hint one way or another.

If you are at a junior college, seek out an advisor from a 4 year.
Advisors at 2 year colleges can only give you advise if you actually know what you want to major in and where you are going to transfer to, because each university has different requirements. I've had advisors sit me down at a computer to print out a degree program and then walked away.

Always get your financial aid double checked.
I ended up missing out on financial aid one semester because I never got a chance to ask and find out why it never went through. And don't get me started on the issues from this semester, lol you can read about it here.

If you are in the right, then don't take no for an answer.
Seriously, though, just because they are a big university does not give them the right to sweep issues under the rug. If you are 100% correct, then take it to the dean or whoever is in charge. When my advisor couldn't help with graduation, I emailed the dean. When the financial aid office couldn't help, I mailed a letter to the president of the college.

You are the consumer. Don't get pushed around.
This goes with the previous one. I was so close to finishing another student loan application, when I went ahead and mailed the letter, that got my tuition covered.

Have fun. Take classes that are different and interesting.
Sure they may or maynot count toward your degree, but you never know. I thought my study abroad trip was just for fun, that it is the whole reason I ended up with a second bachelor's degree. I've taken everything from theology/religion, ballet, yoga, kickboxing, textiles, couple of fashion classes, and more.

You are smart.
We live in a world and a generation, that is getting ripped off in the higher education field. Cost has skyrocketed and the education is lacking. But regardless, each and everyone of us is smart, we just have to figure out how to use it. And learning doesn't end when you graduate. I have learned so much by attending conferences, reading, and just living life.



XOXO,
Suzanne Marie
QuickEdit
Unknown
0 Comments
Share :

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @curlsandcappuccinos